I stumbled onto the TED Talk website a few months ago after reading about Amy Cuddy’s infamous TED Talk in Chatelaine. I ear-marked it to investigate later, got too busy to investigate it, lost the link, found the link and eventually and finally carved out the 20 minutes it takes to watch her video.
Since viewing her TED talk video about powerful postures I’ve been paying closer attention to how I’m standing and how my clients are standing in our daily lives. Our “body language” has a cumulative effect on our wellbeing.
Here’s the link for Amy Cuddy’s TED talk – check it out! Like, NOW! Watch. It. Now.
So! Are you taking up space or making yourself small? Are you standing up to be counted or hiding in the back row? “Power Pose” to increase your presence and confidence and destress a little.
Here are a few ways to integrate power poses and confidence-boosting stances into your movement classes and every day fitness routines!
3 awesome exercises to sneak into your classes or workout routines
Don’t forget to throw in the occasional side bridge or side lift for good measure! 🙂
1) Forward Rocking with arms up & palms turned in (Work those lats. and strengthen your multifidus!)
2) Standing X (It stabilizes the S.I. joints!)
3) Single Leg Glute Med. Glide with hands on hips like wonder woman! Stand on something at least 2 inches tall with 1 foot. Keep both knees straight and lower 1 leg towards the floor then back up so feet are level. (Feel the burn!)
Also, my favourite standing exercises that leave you feeling “open” and confident every time!
Please note, these exercises are not written in any particular order.
- Spine Extension with hands behind the head
- Spine Rotation with hands behind the head
- Side Bend with hands behind the head
- Lateral Arm Arcs
- Relevé Footwork Parallel
- Relevé Footwork Turn Out
- Relevé Footwork 2nd Position
- Single Leg Circle
- Double Leg Stretch
- Open Leg Rocker
- Criss Cross Obliques
- Airplane with Rotation
- Relevé Spine Twist
- Around the World
- Ad infinitum!
If these exercises aren’t top of mind, check out BH’s upcoming Vertical Repertoire Manual at our Dupont Studio or Vertical Intesnive Workshop. It’s soooooo good!!
So remember, stand at your full height and brim with inner confidence; you’re worth it and you’re powerful!
Thanks for reading,