Have you ever trained a senior client? Do you work with older adults on a regular basis? Are you curious to learn more before you delve into this market?
Working with older adults can be one of the most rewarding experiences to a Pilates instructor or any teacher of movement.
As adults age, they are highly motivated to maintain physical comfort and minimize pain, keep up mobility and strength for daily activities, improve balance, improve posture and interact with others on a social level.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle and being physically active on a regular basis is one of the healthiest things anyone can do to feel younger for longer. And it’s never to late to start. Research has shown that even people in their 90s can boost their muscle strength and slow deterioration of bones through regular exercise.
At Body Harmonics, we have specialized programming for older adults at our studios and in our Teacher Training programs to help them stay fit in a safe, intelligent way.
Below is a collection of our favourite articles, resources and teacher training workshops that are helpful when working with older adults in a Pilates or other movement context.
The basics of working with older adults and posture
- Tapping into the seniors market: Key exercise elements for success
- How I train older adults for balance and strength using Pilates
- Gait analysis – what to watch for
- Exercises to restore optimal gait mechanics
- Seniors on the Move workshop
- Vertical Repertoire workshop
From head to toe
- What is forward head posture and why you should pay attention
- Hand exercises that help with neck and shoulder tension
- Foot & Ankle: The Body’s Spring System workshop
- Power and Balance for Hip and Knee workshop
- Post Rehab Protocols: Hip and Knee workshop
Conditions: Hip replacements, Osteoporosis and Arthritis
- 3 ways I helped my mother successfully recover from a hip replacement
- Hip Replacement workshop
- Holy Bones! (a.k.a. Osteoporosis)
- Osteopenia, Osteoporosis and Orthopaedic Health workshop
- Energetic mat class suitable for people with arthritis
- Osteoarthritis: what is it and how to minimize the effects
- Invigorating class plan for arthritis
- Arthritis: The Modern Epidemic workshop
- Beyond Breast Cancer workshop